Working for Ski Hiver
Working for us is not like working for the bigger companies - we actively support you on a regular basis during the season as we live in resort. You will be part of a close-knit team so you will never feel alone. However, we expect our team to work independently using their initiative and buckets of common sense. You must be flexible, hardworking, remain calm in a crisis and not get flustered easily and all this while keeping a smile on your face. Running a ski chalet doesn't always run smoothly and go according to plan!
We run 2 weeks of chalet training in resort before the season start date. You will learn our menu, how we operate and give you a week to get your allocated chalet ready, practice menus and get yourself prepared and confident enough to welcome your first guests. Working in a ski chalet can be extremely challenging but also very rewarding, especially if you have a real passion for cooking and hosting dinner parties. And then there's the snow of course.....!
Chris & Cyril
Important Information for UK passport holders:
Now that procedures for employment post-Brexit have become easier and visa applications are now online, we welcome applications from UK citizens as well as those in possession of a valid EU work permit or dual nationals.
We will organise visas for any successful UK applicants but as it still takes a little time to process, you need to apply ASAP and impress us with your proven skills and capabilities.
Our Chalet Hosts:
Our chalet hosts are responsible for providing our guests with a great catering experience, a clean and comfortable chalet and a wealth of knowledge about the resort.
We are looking for experienced individuals and chalet couples (or pairs who do not mind sharing a room) for the entire season. Couples or friends must be established enough to be able to withstand lots of pressure as you will be working and living closely with each other every day for the whole winter season (December to April!)
We are particularly keen to hear from mature, enthusiastic people who have a positive outlook, a passion for creating delicious food, incredible attention to detail, and an ability to quickly build strong relationships with a variety of different people. We will not consider school leavers or gap-year students without proven experience and relevant chalet cookery course certification.
All applicants must have proven competency in the kitchen as well as in general cleaning and housekeeping. These are equally important and both are a major part of the job.
• A passion for cooking – You will provide our guests with delicious breakfasts, cakes and dinners. You must have a good underlying knowledge of cooking, alongside experience of catering for large dinner parties, a background in catering or cooking, or attendance on a chalet-focused cookery course.
• A keen interest in hosting people – You will have daily interaction with our guests and play a huge part in making our guests’ holiday a great one. We are looking for applicants with a sociable personality who will enjoy getting to know new guests every week.
• Flexibility – You have a high degree of flexibility. All team members may be required to do any ad hoc duties or cover other chalets in case of emergency.
• High performance standards - You will perform all aspects of your role to the highest possible standards, whether it be cleaning, food preparation, chalet administration or guest interaction.
• Excellent organisational skills - Half the battle of being a chalet host is already won if you can plan your time effectively and work efficiently.
• A good level of physical fitness and stamina - The role involves a lot of time on your feet (working and skiing!) so a good healthy balanced lifestyle is key for the season.
• Common sense - You must be able to use your head to problem solve at short notice and work on your own initiative without needing constant instruction.
• English speaking: Most of our guests are from the UK so fluent English is essential.
We will always make sure you have plenty of time off every day to ski (including changeover day, if you get everything done on time) and we will ensure you are always fully supported, prepared and equipped to take care of your chalet and guests each week. A happy team results in happy guests.
Your duties will include (but are not limited to):
• Setting up breakfast, baking the daily cake, prepping and running dinner service
• Daily cleaning of communal areas
• Weekly deep-cleaning of entire chalet / linen changes / hot tub water change / sauna clean
• Clearing snow & ice from door and pathways to ensure safe access for guests (and you!)
• Maintaining strict safety and hygene policies throughout the chalet (certificates required)
• Any other ad hoc duties required
If you think you have got what it takes to balance the demands of a busy winter season and ensure that our guests have the holiday of a lifetime, please apply now with:
• Your CV
• A covering letter showing us that you have actually read and proving that you meet the requirements
• Confirmation of your right to work in France (if applicable)
• A weekly evening menu plan that you are capable of cooking as we will be testing you!
Any CVs not meeting this criteria will not be considered.
We offer a competitive salary, 2 days off per week, accommodation, meals, ski passes, equipment hire, health and ski insurance and holiday pay for the entire season. Working hours cover breakfast, morning baking and dinner prep and evening cooking/service. If you are efficient and can manage your time well, you will have plenty of time in the afternoon to enjoy the snow and mountains!
We recruit using Skype / Zoom for our initial meetings during the summer with face-to-face interviews held in London at a mutually convenient time between September and October so please send us your CVs as soon as possible to be considered.
Click here to apply NOW for next season!
Snow Cooks Cookery School
For a great chalet cookery school experience, we recommend Snow Cooks for all your initial training. Melanie comes with years of experience of both running a catered chalet business and cooking for large groups on a weekly basis. This means Melanie know what is needed to consistently deliver the best quality food, from kitchen to table, each and every day.
For more information and to book your place, click here